Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Great Fear...


So you know how when you're a kid, everyone always tells you "you are the future." That always got me pumped up. But now as I'm preparing to be a teacher...and a teacher of history, I'm starting to realize that I'm not only becoming the future...I will eventually be the past. I think about how many generations have gone before me and how much has been lost about them and what they loved to do. Well, I don't want that to happen with my generation. Of the things that come from my generation, there are many that hopefully will be forgotten (Backstreet boys, mullets, shirts of all neon colors), but here are just a few that I certainly hope will not be forgotten. In the history books fifty years down the road, I'd better read about culture in the 90's, and when I read about the 90's, I'd better hear about: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Slap-on Bracelets, Old school Nintendo, Michael Jordan, killer phrases like, "no duh!" "NOT!" and "Kawabunga", The growth of the love of Pizza (which I attribute to the Ninja Turtles), Steve Urkle, sideways pony-tails, and Water Socks/moccasins. The question I'd like all of you are are "the Future" of our world to consider is this: You know you will be the future, but as your present becomes the past, what do you hope will be remembered in history? What cultural elements of your childhood do you fear will be lost? I then challenge you to write it down so that they don't get lost...or even better, put it online so that you know it won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment